Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:20:15 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to shut down this list?

On Monday 27 December 2004 11:33 pm, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
wrote:
> On Monday 27 December 2004 19:16, you wrote:
> > On Monday 27 December 2004 06:50 pm, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
> > > One of my ideas is to come up with a short, succint version of
> > > the newbies list charter and to have it appended to every
> > > message, as a list signature. Would any of you "frequent newbie
> > > flyers" like to have a go at the text for this?   This gentle
> > > reminder should inform them to seek help on technical questions
> > > on the -questions list, and refer to the newbies list charter via
> > > URL.
> >
> > How about something like, "freebsd-questions is not a technical
> > help or support list. See:
> > http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/ "
> >
> > > *You* of all people should know where to find the official list
> > > charter.  ;^)
> >
> > Me, specifically? Well, yes, but I'm not sure why me, of all people
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresource
> >s.html#E RESOURCES-CHARTERS
>
> Ah, sorry, I meant the inclusive "you" as in the previously
> referred-to "frequent newbie flyers".  And perhaps another sentence
> or two describing what the newbies list IS for?
>
> But thanks for stepping up on this, I'm sure you'll come up with
> something good, communicate it to core@, and someone there will
> shepherd it over to postmaster.  You see, I'm leaving on holiday
> tomorrow morn...

I was going for the most brevity ... OK, then, ... hmmm ...

"freebsd-questions is a general discussion forum for new FreeBSD users
to share their experiences and to help each other with non-technical
issues. It is not a technical help or support list. See:
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/ "

I dunno. This part: "help each other with non-technical issues" sounds
not quite right, as people can answer broad technical questions here,
like whether it's better to use a GUI interface for system
administration. Am having trouble distilling a description down to one
sentence. Maybe that's alright and I'm just overthinking it. Will send
it out and see what you all think.

- jt