Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 23:19:40 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
Cc:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

sfarrell+lists@farrell.org wrote:

> "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org> writes:
>
> > People that develop for Linux rarely take standards into account,
> > besides POSIX was not a priority in the Linux camp until
> > recently. SCO is IMHO the only standard platform.
>
> Huh?
>
> Name some recent linux projects that have been successful?  gimp?
> runs fine on freebsd.  kde? runs fine as well.  even linux binaries
> run.
>
> I do agree that FreeBSD needs to paint itself as a better linux than
> linux -- can't believe i just said that ;-)!! ... but i don't think
> your argument that linux software won't run under freebsd b/c they
> write it linux-specific is tenable.

BTW, that is NOT my argument: I'm speaking of the OS, and Linuxs lack of
respect to standards. I have an old linux manual around "installation
and getting started" that says that POSIX was not in their priority
list. AFAIK they claim to by SYSV-like, but they don't have poll(), and
there are no plans to follow the single UNIX specification.

Let's not talk more about Linux...it's depressing.

	Pedro.