Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:27:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pine dumps core under -stable

> > Increasing the soft limits in login.conf won't increase the hard
> > limits, which is what pine is running into.
> >
> > To put it simply - if you want to work with large mailboxes, use a
> > better mailreader.
>
> Have any suggestions? Pine begins to bog really bad on this machine at
> about 2000-3000 messages....

Mutt has a large, loyal following.  I use exmh, and regularly visit my
sent folder which I rotate at the 10000 message mark (~6 months).  My
inbox is at 9947 messages (651 live), and this is all quite usable on a
16M P133 with a sloooow disk.

Prior to this I used to use elm, which is OK except when it eats your
inbox.  8(