Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:03:27 +0000
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        "Theng Ung" <thengsta@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, dpd@arrow.lan.raffles-it.com
Subject:   Re: cvsup & make world

--==_Exmh_-776722820P

Theng,

All thought you now have the full CVS repository  on your system it
sounds like you need to extract it to the /usr/src hierarchy.

I cvs all the src for all versions and then I extract the src I am
interested in locally.

To do this and set the version of src

	cd /usr
	cvs co -r <tag>

		Substitute <tag> for the release you which to build. One thing to
rember is that subsequent 'updates' will use the same <tag>. The <tag>
 I use for most of my machines is  RELENG_4 which get's me the latest
version of the stable branch.

Every night I run cvsup to get the latest src changes and then I
extract the updates to my version by running

	cd /usr/src
	cvs up -Pd

This will then extract the only the changes from my cvs local
repository and apply them to my /usr/src tree from where I do my
builds.

	su
	cd /usr/src
	make buildworld