Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 95 21:19:04 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        paul@isl.cf.ac.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        bakul@netcom.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Internationalization (was Re: CVS stuff)

> > You speak of English bias of mailing lists and Usenet but
> > the English bias of Unix etc. is much more pervasive.  How
> > would one translate `cat', `sh', `uucp' etc. to other
> > languages?  Without English language background these words
> > make _no_ sense.  But it would be equally nonsensical to
>
> Hmm, interesting viewpoint :-)
>
> A cat is a small furry animal that has an annoying habit of sleeping on
> clothes that have just been ironed and you were hoping to wear out that
> night.
>
> `sh` is likely an abbreviation of what you generally say when you find the
> afore mentioned cat lying on your clothes.
>
> `uucp` obviously slipped into unix by mistake since it's clearly not
> English.

Actually, when I suggest changes to handle this particular problem,
I'm generally branded a nut.

Mostly they have to do with achieving POSIX compatability in the library,
necessitated by the terrible things I plot about doing to the file
system name space, open, creat, chdir, stat, lstat, and unlink, etc. to
allow utilities that depend on them to keep operating invariant under
localization (note: not general rename).

Personally, I don't see what's so objectionable about a varargs open.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.