Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 01:29:50 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

Pause. Smile. Regardless of how vehement I get about points,
understand that I do value other people's opinions, nor do I
consdier there only one way of every doing something.

Disclaimer having been made...

From: peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
> In general, yes. There are really only a few big things they need to be
> super-picky about, and they are usually standard system components (like
> sendmail or nfs).

And for just about all the packages (I just took a tour through my 2.0.5
CD /packages/All), the order they start up in does not matter, as
long as they start after the standard system components of the
appropriate level. It's these we have to worry about.

And anything replacing them goes in at the same place.

> +> Anything else is headaches.

> Why don't you go look at a System V box before blindly asserting this? If
> it was full of headaches I wouldn't have been using it and converting other
> systems to use it for the past 10 years.

Been there, done that. For about 10 years. And left that for BSD.
Personal preference.

> I smell the scent of NIH.

Nope. I don't like the style. Haven't liked it for any implementation
of any software (of any type). I simply do not like implicit control sequence
(outside of a forward chaining expert system) nor do I like multiple locations
for a single file ("init.d" and "rc?.d").

> +> Will you volunteer the same for your version? Including a re-write of the
> +> "daily/weekly" stuff that reallly should use the same mechanism?

> Yes. IF it will get used, and not shouted out by someone who's got a SysV
> phobia. The last project I did for FreeBSD got shunted aside, so I'm
> not willing to dive in on another one without some expectation that it'll
> get used.

I'm with you on this point. Which is why I'm trying to get a consensus
agreement on which direction to head in (even if the answer is both)
before I put any coding effort into it.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 3 Hansom Drive, Merrimack, NH  03054
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...