Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:41:06 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do i need to make the world?

--Clx92ZfkiYIKRjnr

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 04:42:01PM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I have just installed 4.3-RELEASE from the CD and now I am updating=20
> my sources using cvsup
>=20
> src-all tag=3DRELENG_4_3
> ports-all tag=3D.			# CURRENT
>=20
> after reading /usr/src/UPDATING I noticed that there were only 9=20
> commits from RELEASE to now.
> Is it safe to make only the targets touched by the commits? (telnetd,=20
> openssh, etc ...)

Depends what you mean by safe.  If you are certain you know every file
touched by the change, including dependencies, then you can do this.
But if that was the case then you probably wouldn't have needed to ask
the question.

The _safe_ thing to do is a full rebuild of world, kernel, and /etc
following the procedure in the handbook, so you know you're not
missing anything.

> Is it safe to keep a CURRENT ports tree together with a userland that=20
> is not in synch (i.e. does not belong to CURRENT)?

Yes..there are only a few ports like lsof which have their fingers
deep in kernel data structures which often get broken when you update
the kernel.

Kris

--Clx92ZfkiYIKRjnr

--Clx92ZfkiYIKRjnr--