Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:38:48 -0300
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: password crackers?

cat /usr/ports/security/john/pkg-descr

John the Ripper is a UNIX password cracker, currently available for
UNIX (tested with Linux x86, FreeBSD x86, Solaris 2.x SPARC, OSF/1
Alpha), DOS, WinNT/Win95.

    John the Ripper supports the following cracking modes:
    - wordlist with or without rules;
    - "single crack", makes use of the login/GECOS information;
    - incremental, tries all character combinations;
    - external, allows you to define your own cracking mode.
    - MD5 based password files support

En un mensaje anterior, Eric Anderson escribió:
> What does everyone recommend for a general password file cracker?  I have been
> using an old version of crack, but there must be better ones around.  I need to
> crack solaris, freebsd, and linux password hashes.  Any recommendations?

Lic. Fernando P. Schapachnik
fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar