Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:21:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Bailer <wbailer@eznet.net>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is PicoBSD really so bad?

On 18 Jul 2000, Victor Sudakov wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 10:03:34PM +1000, andrew@ugh.net.au wrote:
>>

>> > I did not add anything to the floppy, nor did I modify it in any way
>> > save the visual kernel config. If it is full, then it is shipped like
>> > this. I only copied the downloaded image to the floppy and booted from
>> > it.
>>
>> kget is the tool used to save your kernel configuration to disk. You may
>> need to build your own with less stuff in the kernel to start with...I
>
>Well, I thought if an image is available for download, it should be a
>working one.
>
>> havent used a recent picobsd disk though...
>
>It would be a good idea to try :)
>

>--
>Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
>2:5005/149@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

I have had exactly the same experience, with the same downloaded dial
version disk image.  This is my first experience in trying to run any
form of bsd, and I don't know what files I can afford to delete or
alter.  Anything I have tried "breaks" it and I have to start over with
a new disk image.  The disk certainly is full, and the update utility
does not work.  There is no working space for the editor either.  I can
manually configure dialer and ppp access for each boot, but can't save
the configuration.  Can't download anything because of no space to put
it.  It's a can of sardines.

Does anybody know how to trim the size of the whole thing down even a
little bit, using only the floppy booted installaion itself to do so?

Another question:  Does PicoBSD (dial version) support:  partition and
format a hard drive, and then read and write to it (that is, if I can
get the thing working)?

Bill Bailer
wbailer@eznet.net, Rochester NY USA, tel:716-473-9556
Acoustics, piano technology, music theory, JSBach