Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:24:16 +0000
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do the newbies get hareware freaky.

In message <200203040005.TAA05635@alpha.vaxxine.com>, Paul C. Boyle
<paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com> writes
>I saw on a news program In Toronto a little while back,
>about geeks and their tweaked up hardware.
>They had overclocked chips, cooling fans every place you can think.
>Probably with chrome plating.  Their boxes were quite decked out as well.
>Some had plexiglass side pannels to see the chrome and brass fans spinning.
>They did not mention in the program though as to what os they were running.
>I suspect some form of Win9x for game playing.

Linux is another popular OS amongst the overclocking crowd.  That said
overclockers use anything and everything so...

>I have a Plll 850 256M of ram on an Asus slot One board.  I cannot overclock
>this but I find it to be a very stable piece of hardware.  If I had the money
>I would go for some sort of scsi raid hard drive controler with 3 10,000rmp
>drives.  Without parity.  The  read times would top the box off quite nice.
>What do you do and what would you like to do, now that you run the most
>efficient operating system this side of Starfleet?

I've looked at the raid setup a few times, I think my ideal would
actually be two separate arrays.  A mirrored setup for /home and other
stuff I worry about loosing like some configs etc.  Then have /usr on a
nice striped array for speed.

Personally I enjoy reading a lot of the overclocking stuff from a
different angle, super-cooling.  I've not gone as far as the water-
cooling set-ups or anything but I have bought a few pieces of
overclocking equipment even though my machine runs at it's manufactured
pace.  For example I have a wonderful heatsink/fan setup with a throttle
control that lets me run the fan at "silent" speeds without cooking my
CPU.  My case has nice airflow and such.  My CPU runs at a reasonable
temperature even though the box isn't in the greatest of positions for
cooling.  Because I've spent a little more on things like my fans
they're quiet anyway, and the nice case muffles anything actually trying
to make a noise even more.

It's quite interesting what you can do for very little money, last time
I brought things to play with I added 10UKP to the order and bought
myself a cooling kit for my RAM.  Hopefully it'll make it last a little
longer, and if not I only spent a couple of pounds on a nice thing to
play with.

Each to their own really.  I'm happy with my PCs performance so my goal
is to make it as cool and quiet as possible.  I guess if I had money to
burn I'd play with overclocking just to see how far I could push
something, but for now I'll settle with working in the opposite
direction to most people.  My machine is quiet, fast and didn't cost me
much.  What more could a geek want? :-)

Kevin,
      who may install Windows to benchmark it all one day
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk