Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 15:40:11 +0200
From:      Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   WTF: These dealers today

Hi folks,

this is not really FreeBSD-related, but at least computer-related, and
rather funny (I think):

Today, I walked into a computer store (yes, one that specializes in selling
computers and computer parts) with the intention to buy an ISA Network Card
(Ethernet) for one of my older machines. Looking over the counter, I could
see that the shop did in fact have some cheapy cards in stock, which was
just fine, as the cheapest thing is just enough for my purpose.

So, I told the guy in the shop: "I'd like to buy one of these ISA Network
cards", pointing over to them. The dealer walked into the direction where I
pouinted - and returned with a PCI card. "No, I need a card for an ISA
slot" I told him. He walked away and returned with a PCMCIA card... On the
third attempt, he finally gave me what I was wanted. He placed the ISA card
he had just fetched next to the PCI card he had left on the counter and
said something like: "Umm, now what's the actual difference between these
two?"

I kindly explained him that an ISA card can be plugged in the slighly older
ISA slot (as the name suggests), while PCI cards are used in - who would
have guessed it - PCI slots.

Bottom line: I wonder if anyone, even someone who has been selling flowers
before and cannot even operate a pocket calculator, can these days work in
a computer shop. While it is nothing new for me that folks in "big" stores
that sell a whole lot of stuff (including computers) often don't have much
of a clue, I would have expected that people working in specialized
computer shops should at least be familiar with the basics...

Hmm, probably I should go to the shop again and ask for a copy of "Sun
Windows WC 2010". Probably the guy in the shop would actually look around if
they have a copy of that software in stock ;-)

Greetings,
Nils