Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 20:04:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dev Chanchani <dev@trifecta.com>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: chroot() security

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Never loose sight of the fact that if someone gets root in the chrooted
> environment, they have root on the whole machine.  The chrooted
> environment does not lessen the implications of getting root, it only
> makes it harder to do so.

Marc,
Thanks for the reply.
Basically, how can someone get out of a chroot()'ed environment is they
get root? Can they access the filesystem outsite their chroot()'ed
directory? I know they can place their own binaries and begin to sniff,
etc, but can they easily get out of their environment? Also, can a user
access the inode table or does the kernel only access the inode table?

Thanks..