Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 01:05:01 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, deatley@apple.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

Terry Lambert wrote:

>   ... that tty
>   manipulation can be abstracted down to 6 system interfaces,
>   and made relatively very portable; I wrote code that ran
>   on approximately 140 vendor implementations of UNIX, with
>   only 3 variant files. ]

But it was code of very limited "touch" to the system.  Sure, it did
serial I/O, which is rarely much fun on UNIX, let alone to do portably
on UNIX, but that was also the most ambitious it got.  Don't try to
extrapolate that example too far, Terry.

{Yes, I worked on that code too, and ported it to several systems that
did not exist when Terry wrote it.  HP/UX 10 threw some interesting
curves at it, as did AIX 4.1}