Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:03:21 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: Epic5-0.3.1 ruby support and FreeBSD AMD64 problem

<josh@tcbug.org> typed:
> > I'm the port maintainer for irc/epic4 and irc/epic5 and try to
> > liason with the developers as much as possible.  I've received a
> > request from the Epic developers that I can't really help with
> > and I'm wondering if someone would be willing to be able to lend
> > them a hand.
> >
> > Epic5-0.3.1 includes optional ruby support.  When ruby support is
> > compiled in on an AMD64 box attempting to use gdb on it
> > spontainiously reboots the box, no panic, no hang, just a hard
> > reset. The problem has been verified to occur on 5-STABLE and
> > 6-STABLE on multiple machines.  It does not occur if the gdb from
> > devel/gdb6 is used.
> >
> > At the moment I'm dealing with the situation by keeping the port
> > at 5.0.2.0 but I'm getting more and more requests to get 0.3.1
> > into the tree.  Given the nature of the problem doing so at this
> > point means either not having the ruby support in the port or
> > marking it broken for AMD64, neither of which are particularly
> > attractive.
>
> Why not test for both conditions? I.e. - if ruby support is
> included (you did say it was optional) AND if you're on amd64, then
> mark the port as broken? Better yet, since using devel/gdb6 seems
> to fix the problem, use devel/gdb6 under those conditions. Or - to
> keep it simple - always use devel/gdb6.
>
> Note that getting this problem fixed won't meean you can ignore it.
> If you want to avoid building with the workaround (whatever that
> may be) on amd64 after the fix has been committed, you'll have to
> check the OS version, and optionally build with the workaround if
> someone is installing the fix on an earlier version of FreeBSD.
>
> 	<mike

You're right.  The workaround could be more sophisticated.  Thanks for=20
pointing that out.  I guess my perspective is that this issue is=20
being caused by a problem in the code for epic, not a bug in FBSD. =20
=46rom the wording of your email I sort of get the impression you are=20
thinking along the lines of it being a FreeBSD bug? =20

My main plea is for someone familiar with FBSD to volunteer to give=20
these guys a hand in tracking this down. :)

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel