Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 11:32:12 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        andreas@knobel.gun.de (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, mike@binghamton.edu, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: knews port uploaded

>Everybody is happy, if the hard f****** work gets done and if we
>have a nice and up to date ports collection. But only the maintainer
>should maintain a port, because he is the maintainer.
>
>Sounds logically, or ?! ;-))
>andreas@knobel.gun.de         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH

So you are saying that when a port is three (3) versions behind and
users would like an up-to-date version that they should just twiddle
their thumbs waiting for some MAINTANER to come out of the woodwork
instead of jumping in and helping everyone involved?

I thought that this was one of the reasons that an incoming directory
exsited at all.

In this case (none of this is meant as any sort of flame BTW) that maintainer
of the package (IMHO) should take the code in the incoming directory,
check it out and see that it meets the ports standards and that standards
set in any previous port of the package and then send in that port
to the ports maintainer (i.e. Satoshi, i believe).
(then a thank you note to the new version porter for the hard work
 and the work that they save the port maintainer.)

This makes it so the a "port maintainer" is the helping hand
to the "ports maintainer" (whew) and not the "Hey that MY program, hands off")

Sounds logical to me.

(Again this is not meant as a flame to anyone or of anything said-
 examples used for discussion purposes. As one who has ever sent in a
 port I am in no position to flame :)

-David Langford
langfod@dihelix.com
FreeBSD caliban 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0: Fri Apr 12 08:12:34 HST 1996     langfod@caliban:/usr/src/sys/compile/CALIBAN  i386