Date:      Wed, 17 Aug 2016 16:45:21 -0500
From:      Brandon J. Wandersee <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Facing a strange problem

Manish Jain writes:

> I suppose the hard disk can also be ruled out it is a solid state
> disk purchased just 2 months back.

Actually, SSDs do indeed make a high-pitched noisen when active---at
least the ones in my laptop do (two different brands and form
factors). The noise is very soft and not really constant, though. It's
more a syncopated, staccato "crackling" that sounds like a whine during
high I/O, and you aren't likely to notice it unless the rest of the
machine (and room, for that matter) is nearly silent. So unless you
notice that the tone and rhythm of the sound matches up with the I/O of
your system, disk isn't a likely source.

--
::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee@gmail.com