Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:29:15 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mallison@konnections.com (mike allison)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, scrappy@hub.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, chat@freebsd.org, joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: Commercial, Non-Hacker CD Distribution - A thought

mike allison stands accused of saying:
> I sense a bit of hostility here.

Pfagh.  No, you sense me being annoyed with people that ramble on
about stuff without caring a whit for the facts.  If they're not
convenient, hell, just make 'em up.

You're the one inventing the hostility; I really couldn't care what
you do except when it craps on my efforts.

>  I actually HAVE chacked write-ups reviews and Star's own stuff and
> there are always veiled references to Motif.  I believe at one time
> Motif was a requirement.  If it's not anymore they should drop all
> references.

Uhh, let me get this straight; they should drop all the erroneous
references to Motif from other peoples' publications, after they have
been published and circulated, because a newer version than the one
reviewed no longer has the same requirements?

My friend, that wasn't even possible in Soviet Russia.

If you are unwilling or unable to keep up with things as they are, and
that means ooking at new ports that might be interesting, reading the
announce messages off the lists here and elsewhere then the correct
procedure is to _ask_ someone.

If you had mailed/posted and said "Doesn't the new StarOffice require
Motif", I would have said "No, and in fact the only thing that ever
required it was the installer, and they linked Motif into it
statically this time.  Aren't they nice?"

> I still think everyones focusing on a single noodle and not the whole
> soup...

I was only ever intersted in the fact that everyone is criticising one
particular noodle which is not deserving of it.

The real problem is that too many people are standing around in the
kitchen bragging about the recipies they know, and nobody is doing
any cooking.