Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2014 18:30:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Waitman Gobble <uzimac@da3m0n8t3r.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: recommended usb wifi device?

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Waitman Gobble wrote:

> On 2/4/2014 4:55 PM, Colin Percival wrote:
>> On 02/04/14 16:01, Waitman Gobble wrote:
>>> Ralink is a good choice esp. for USB. You might have trouble using other
>>> supported chipsets which are connected to the USB port.
>>>
>>> Also note that the wireless card in the laptop can be replaced for about
>>> ten
>>> bucks. It's typically the easiest thing to replace in a laptop. If you
>>> decide to
>>> swap out your wifi card I'd recommend Atheros.
>>
>> I considered that, but I've heard rumours about laptop BIOSes blacklisting
>> wifi cards from other manufacturers, so I figured a USB device was an
>> easier
>> solution.
>>

> That's a potential issue. I've only seen that happen with HP laptops, but you
> should research before spending the ten bucks.

Lenovo does it too.  So far, I have not encountered an Acer or Dell with
the problem.  Recent Toshiba models are made by Acer, but I can't recall
changing the wireless card in one.

Dell often uses Broadcom cards.  It would be nice if the new Broadcom
partipation in FreeBSD would extend to improving their wireless drivers.