Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:30:52 +0200 (METDST)
From:      #Michael Class <michaelc@tmbbwmc.bbn.hp.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (vinum?) lockups in strategy routines?

Hello,

just another datapoint. I just installed two new IBM DPTA-343740
discs into my System at home.  They are configured with striping in vinum.
Within a day I got two solid lockups with the new ata-drivers. After
that I switchied to the old wd-driver. Everythings works fine since then.

I do not have the exact configuration here. The system is at home and I am
here at my workplace. The General setup is as follows: Gigabyte 6BXDS-MoBo
with 2x350Mhz PII, 256MB-Ram, 2 SCSI-Disks, 2 DPTA 343740, each as master
on a seperate (internal) IDE bus. No other IDE/ATAPI devices. Everything
is on 4.0-current of (around) Oct. 22th. (Btw. I had to set the jumper that
clips the disk-size to below 32GB on these drives to make the Gigabyte Mobo
recognize them).

If someone is interessted in more details, I will be able to send them when
I am at home.

Michael

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Anyone running -current as of Oct 28, 1999 getting lockups in
> device strategy routines?
>
> I thought I'd be able to get a dump but it didn't work.
>
> Specifically I'm running vinum in striping mode and the new ata-drivers.
>
> 10 Aug 1999 14:27:51.389915 stripe /dev/da0e /dev/da1e
>
> A kernel from Wed Oct 6 seems fine (able to buildworld).
Michael Class                            E-Mail: michael_class@hp.com
E-Business Solution Division             Phone:  +49 7031 14-3707
                                         Fax:    +49 7031 14-4505