Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 17:59:40 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin? (Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers? )

> Incidentally, don't think that you're going to get plugin functionality
> in E-scape.  The unavalibility of source for plugins makes me uninterested

You can't be serious! :)

> in supporting them.  However, I'll be happy to merge Shockwave and
> RealAudio into the main E-scape sources if you can give me the source
> and there are clearly no potential copyright or patent problems.

You can't be serious! :)

Seriously, are you, umm, serious in these questions?  Blowing off
plug-ins would be a sad mistake, and not only because we *need*
commercial folks to provide working plug-ins for us (a popular
3rd-party browser with such support also perhaps shaming Netscape into
being a bit more aggressive with Navigator) but also because they're
the only semi-reasonable method for extending the browser along much
more radical lines than "helpers" can for you, and there are _end
users_ who might be perfectly happy to provide source for their
plug-ins if you would only support plug-ins in the first place, eh?
Please, support some form of plug-ins.  It's not that hard to design a
reasonable plug-in API and FreeBSD has perfectly usable dl*()
routines.

Second, even if I were doped up on a combination of Wild Turkey, LSD,
DMT and ether, I couldn't for a moment expect the likes of Shockwave
and RealAudio to (giggle) release their sources to some 3rd party just
for that (guffaw) warm fuzzy feeling.  Maybe if the 3rd party also had
a couple of million dollars, sure, but...  Sheesh! :) I will assume
that you were not serious with your second question. :-)

					Jordan