Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 19:34:52 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Tom Mullen <mulletox@seti.tec.sd.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Tom Mullen wrote:

> My school is trying to set a dual boot system, so the students can either
>  boot to freebsd or Windows 95.  We have 40 Meg's of RAM and 2 hard
> drives, one is for freebsd and is 1 Gig and the other one is for Windows
> 95 and is also 1 Gig.  We want to install off of the CD Rom but we can't
> get it to recognize our CD Rom, the type of CD Rom we have is a Torisan
> and the type of driver is Atapi. Can you add a new driver to the
> kernel,and if you can how would you go about doing that?
>
> Thank you

Try the following configuration:

Connect the CD either as the slave on the primary controller (i.e.,
connect the first HD and the CD to the first controller and the second
disk to the second controller) or as the master on the secondary
controller (i.e. both disks on the first controller and the CD alone on
the second EIDE controler). Have the CD in the drive when you boot the
install floppy and see if it gets recognized. Most ATAPI CDs will be
recognized in one of these two configurations.

Nadav