Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 23:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Terry Lee <teren@lyria.stanford.edu>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NE2000 Plus performance

On Mon, 3 Apr 1995, David Greenman wrote:

> >>    It's not supported. I didn't even know of the NE2000+ existence until you
> >> mentioned here.
> >
> >Ok. A couple of questions about network ards and drivers, though:
> >
> >1) how much faster are memory-mapped cards wrt io-mapped ones ? Is it
> >   just the clock cycle per word that you save in transferring data
> >   with MOVSW instead of INSW, or there is more (e.g. the driver
> >   does more or less random access to the board, thus has to waste
> >   time specifying the address of the desired data quite often) ?
>
>    SMC cards have shared memory that can be read and written at 4MB/sec. The
> NE2000 style cards (using programmed I/O) transfer bytes at about 1.7MB/sec.
> Thus when trying to do 1100KB/sec, the SMC cards take 25% of the CPU to
> read/write the packet and the NE2000 cards take more than 60% of the CPU.

I'm confused now.  So the ed driver DOES support shared memory for SMC
cards, but NOT for NE2000plus?  Meaning an SMC card will out perform a
NE2000 card by a LOT!

I believe the original post was about a clone.  I believe the original
NE2000"plus" spec comes from National Semiconductor's NE2000plus card.
According to the manual the default configuration is "programmed I/O" and
it has a higher performance mode called "shared RAM".  Shared RAM mode can be
configured to use upper memory or extended memory.  You can choose upper
memory of C000:0h, C400:0h,...DC00:0h or extended memory of
E0000:0h, E2000:0h,...FE000:0h.  Is it possible that this is just the
same as the SMC spec and if I configure the card to shared memory mode,
the ed driver will just think it's an SMC card and do it's thing?

Terry

I N T E R N E T        Terry Lee, Technical Director
D E S I G N            745 Stanford Avenue, Palo Alto, California 94306
G R O U P              415 424 0747 voice    415 424-0751 fax
http://www.mall.net    terryl@cs.stanford.edu    http://www.mall.net/terry