Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:35:00 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        John Christian <johnc909@comcast.net>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble building Qt30 port (as a dependency to the kde3 port)

On Sunday 16 February 2003 12:52 pm, John Christian wrote:
> hello, I'm trying to get the port of kde build on my machine (freeBSD
> 4.7, i386), but I'm stumped on getting past this error on the Qt
> build. I've tried setting various compiler flags so that it should be
> referring to the X font libraries properly, to no avail.  I've also
> looked around a bit for a binary distribution of Qt, with no
> immediate luck. Please help?

First, qt-3.0 (and kde-3.0) has been replaced with qt-3.1 (kde-3.1). You
may want to use the newer ports.

Second, qt-3.x requires the XFree86-4 libraries by default, in order to
get the Xft support (specifically, the freetype2 dependency). Make sure
you're not using XFree86-3.x. Qt should still work with the older X,
but since your problem is with Xft, I'm assuming that your problem is
related to this.

Third, binary packages for Qt and KDE are available at
<http://freebsd.kde.org/>. These are for KDE 3.1. Additional Qt/KDE
information for FreeBSD is available here as well.

David