Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 13:37:48 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        akyol@wireless.stanford.edu
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What printed documentation do we need?

    Bora> By the way, How complete are the O'reilly books that are on
    Bora> 4.4BSD. I browsed through and thought that they were mostly
    Bora> man pages.  I am thinking about buying them but do not know
    Bora> if it's worth it.

A lot of people think it's nice to have all the man pages printed
nicely and bound together.  I'd be one of them if I had money up the
wazoo, which I don't.

However, I do recommend at least one of the books from the series:

   4.4BSD System Manager's Manual
   By Computer Systems Research Group, UC Berkeley
   1st Edition June 1994
   ISBN: 1-56592-080-5
   804 pages, $30.00 (US)

and if you're feeling particularly rich, then get these other two:

   4.4BSD User's Supplementary Documents
   By Computer Systems Research Group, UC Berkeley
   1st Edition July 1994
   ISBN: 1-56592-076-7
   712 pages, $30.00 (US)

and

   4.4BSD Programmer's Supplementary Documents
   By Computer Systems Research Group, UC Berkeley
   1st Edition July 1994
   ISBN: 1-56592-079-1
   596 pages, $30.00 (US)

You'll find a lot more papers/articles than man pages in these.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

Here's a good trick: Get a job as a judge at the Olympics. Then, if
some guy sets a world record, pretend that you didn't see it and go,
"Okay, is everybody ready to start now?"  -- Jack Handey