Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:50:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Jeremy Sigmon wrote:

> Is there any sort of criteria set for what has to be done to -current
> before it can be released?  All I have seen is ambiguous dates like
> Feb'97 and such or my personal favorite, "When its Done".
> I am a firm believer in the "When its Done" software releasing scheme,
> but is there a set criteria to mark "When its Done"?

I'm curious about this one too.  Is there anything 2.2-CURRENT is waiting
for before it can be released?  The only things I can think of are:

1) More pounding on devfs (is it planned as a standard feature installed
by sysinstall, or more of an optional feature installed by hand?)

2) More Lite-2 integration?

The things I'm pretty sure will not make it into 2.2:

1) Some radical new replacement for sysinstall and/or packages.

2) Any feature that's not already in there.

So the way I see things (and since I'm not a core team person, this is
just my opinion), FreeBSD 2.2 could easily be released by Christmas, or
even the end of November.  I think if the core team puts the squeeze on
everyone and gives at least a tentative deadline, we'll all go into crunch
mode, pay more attention to testing the latest snapshots and/or making
world, and in general things will move to a definitive conclusion,
otherwise we could just flounder along with -current for years.  Because I
believe -current is at least as stable as 2.1.5, and certainly more stable
than its been at any point in history.

Perhaps it's time to split CVS once again into a 2.2.0-RELEASE branch and
a new -current, although I personally don't care either way.

Just my $0.02, but I would like to hear what Jordan et al has to say on
this.

-- Jake