Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:48:40 -0500
From:      "Martin G. Bayerle" <bayerle@auidea.org>
To:        <isp@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Telcos Owe ISPs Big Refunds

Please forgive me if I previously posted to this list the following
information (This is the only list I'm unsure about) . . .  But it could
be a nice early Christmas boost to all ISPs . . .

_________________

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Telcos Cry Ouch as They Return Millions in Overcharges to ISPs

Morgantown, WV - The Internet Development & Exchange Association (IDEA)
announced today that they were pursuing the telephone companies for
millions of dollars in overcharges collected from Internet Service
Providers (ISP) nationwide.  "We anticipate that the total overcharges
which the RBOCs will return to the ISP industry will be somewhere between
4 and 30 million dollars, and the savings to ISPs, while the exemption
remains in place, can be into the hundreds of millions of dollars in the
future.  Although the small to medium sized ISPs are exempt from certain
tariffs - exemptions taken by AT&T, AOL, MSN and Compuserve and others -
smaller ISPs are often not aware of their applicable exemptions," said
Martin Bayerle, Executive Director of IDEA.

In 1983, the U.S. government exempted companies who provide access to the
national network of computers from certain fees imposed by the RBOCs.
"Unfortunately, the telephone companies' business offices are often
unaware of the exemption, and the smaller ISP, as a consequence, gets
charged.  The larger ISPs and their phalanx of lawyers know about the
exemptions; the smaller ones often do not," Mr. Bayerle said.

These overcharges came to light in May, when IDEA initiated its member
audit program.  IDEA has already retrieved thousands of dollars in
refunds for its membership.  IDEA is the Internet industry's trade
association.

Exemptions would be retroactive to 1983, with some ISPs collecting as
much as $100,000 or more in refunds from the telcos.  The Association
will assist IDEA members in the refund process.

_________

Contact: bayerle@auidea.org

Martin G. Bayerle
Executive Director
IDEA
5006 Grand Central Station Drive
Morgantown, WV 26505
Voice:  304 292-6736
Fax:      304 291-2577

For general information on IDEA, and its Audit Programs, visit
http://www.auidea.org

|_ _| _ \  __|   \     Martin G. Bayerle, Executive Director    |
|  |  |  | _|   _ \ Internet Development & Exchange Association |
|___|___/ ___|_/  _\      5006 Grand Central Station Drive      |
| bayerle@auidea.org     Morgantown, WV 26505  304 292-6736     |
|PGP Fngrprnt =  8A 71 8B 59 1D DD 8D DB B5 AE 52 40 3B 20 28 87|