Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 23:45:25 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

I forgot that the partition table was probably wrong, too.  I ran fdisk
from the fixit floppy, and sure enough, it said 2 million tracks, 1
head, 1 sector per track.  So I tried to edit it, and experienced some
awfully confusing fdisk behavior.  I entered 109 sector/track, 4 heads,
4839 cylinders.  I said "no" to manually setting the start/end of the
partition, and it made the start 0/1/0 and the end something like
735/36/0.  Seems to me that since the partition is the whole disk, the
end should be at least 1023/...

In any case, after writing the partition table twice (the first time,
for some reason, when I re-checked it it was back to 1/1.), I was able
to boot my new drive (yay!).  However, fdisk now says:

******* Working on device /dev/sd2 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=58606 heads=1 sectors/track=36 (36 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=58606 heads=1 sectors/track=36 (36 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 0, size 2109840 (1030 Meg), flag 80
	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
	end: cyl 743/ sector 36/ head 0
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>

This is nothing like what I told it, but since it appears to work
I'm not going to worry about it for now, unless someone tells me
that it's something to worry about.  This whole thing is a total
mess.

  Bill