Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 1995 20:53:32 -0800
From:      rsoles@SIRIUS.COM (Roger L Soles)
To:        osyjm@schizo.coe.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen), roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier ROBERT)
Cc:        osyjm@schizo.coe.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen), hackers@FreeBSD.org, terry@cs.weber.edu
Subject:   Re: NETBEUI for FreeBSD?  Any docs?

Samba is SMB (Server Message Blocks) over TCP/IP -- and Microsoft will
be happy to give you a 32 Bit TCP/IP stack for WFWG -- just ftp it
from there site (FTP.MICROSOFT.COM).

NetBEUI is a brain dead transport... and since you'd probably use
b-mode (simplistic) it'd eat your bandwidth up with it's broadcasts
quick...

If you want to talk to Unix, use TCP/IP -- WFWG supports it, it's a
0 K foot print for conventional memory, it's free, and it works...

BTW:  NetBIOS is an API, not a transport, not a file sharing protocol...

At 08:02 AM 1/18/95 -0700, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

>    >> My understanding is that NetBEUI is rather simplistic,
>    >> non-routable, but it would be useful in communicating with PC's
>    >> running wfw that for some reason don't want TCP/IP.
>
>    Ollivier> If you want ot share printers and disks, I'd suggest
>(samba).
>

>Samba won't solve the problem. Samba is NETBIOS over TCP/IP.  I'm talking
>a whole different protocol, NETBEUI, 'ala WFW/LanManager in it's simplest
>form.

// Roger L Soles
// PO Box 280785
// San Francisco, CA  94124-0785