Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:40:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        Ryan.Gamo@sce.com
Cc:        pts@EEngineer.com (Larry), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAD support?

Ryan.Gamo@sce.com babbled:
> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 06:47:38 -0700

> Unless you have the source for those CAD programs, you'd have to run a DOS
> emulator atop BSD. I don't know if any of the major CAD developers port to
> UNIX based OS's other than Solaris. But you sure as hell can't run them
> (WIN32 versions) on BSD without help from an emulator of some sort.
>
> If you're security conscious, why don't you just set up an old BSD box as a
> firewall to your network? Just another (easier) option.
>
>                     Larry <pts@EEngineer.com>
>
> I have decided to try FreeBSD on a dedicated drive of my system. I need to
> find out....will FreeBSD run my CAD platforms?
>
> I use AutoCAD but more importantly, my number one concern is OrCAD
> (Electronics EDA).  Also, I still rely on some DOS based CAD
> platforms.....will these still run on BSD???
>
> This is critical because these CAD platforms are the cornerstone of my
> business.

It's EXTREMELY doubtful that you'll get ANY MS-DOS CAD app to run on
FreeBSD via an emulator.  I don't have experience with those two CAD
packages, but many CAD vendors supply their products for HP-UX, Solaris,
and IRIX.  Find a late-model used workstation from HP, Sun, or SGI and
get UNIX-based CAD.  That will solve your problem about as economically
as possible, at least until the major CAD vendors start supporting BSD.
If anyone knows of such support on its way, I'd like to hear of it.  It
wasn't there the last time I looked.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD             http://www.dunham.org
jdunham@fc.net               jerry@dunham.org            (512)335-0674 (H)