Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:16:02 +0930
From:      "Barrington, Mark" <mark.barrington@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        "'freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:    ISO images to BOOTABLE cd's ? how to

Dear Sirs

my compliments on the clear and concise guide to FreeBSD, the document I
have been reading being
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/install-guide.htm
l#INSTALL-MSDOS

I was encouraged to read the following easy to understand text ...

"2.2.1.2. Before Installing from CDROM
If your CDROM is of an unsupported type, please skip ahead to the MS-DOS
Preparation section.
~
There is not a whole lot of preparation needed if you are installing from
one of BSDi's FreeBSD CDROMs (other CDROM distributions may work as well,
though we cannot say for certain as we have no hand or say in how they
created). You can either boot into the CD installation directly from DOS
using the install.bat or you can make floppies with the makeflp.bat command.
~
If the CD has El Torito boot support and your system supports booting
directly from the CDROM drive (many older systems do NOT), simply insert the
first CD of the set into the drive and reboot your system. You will be put
into the installation menu directly from the CD.
~
If you are installing from an MS-DOS partition and have the proper drivers
to access your CD, run the install.bat script provided on the CDROM. This
will attempt to boot the FreeBSD installation directly from DOS.
~
Note: You must do this from actual DOS (i.e., boot in DOS mode) and not from
a DOS window under Windows.

For the easiest interface of all (from DOS), type view. This will bring up a
DOS menu utility that leads you through all of the available options."

The bit that I found encouraging was this line
"(other CDROM distributions may work as well, though we cannot say for
certain as we have no hand or say in how they created)"

Is that true that it is necessarily the case that you shall have "no hand or
say" in this process?
What I would really like to know, and would really appreciate having
explained in a followable form is just how can I convert the ISO images that
I can download from the site into BOOTABLE CD's.  Just how would I do this
on a typical Windows machine equiped with a CD burner and say Adaptec's
EAsyCD version 3.51?

Have I a valid question?  Am I asking to be spoon fed too much?
Unfortunately I dont know Adaptec EasyCD so well although I have access to
it, but I suspect that I have to do something special to make sure any CD I
burn that might be bootable IS.  What is the "El Torito boot support".  Is
it listed on your site somewhere?  Is this part of the process made a little
bit harder so as to encourage sales via the FreeBSDmall ?  (well?).

Whatever, I find the inability to get going frustrating, and the lack of
coverage of this vital step to get beginners going just a tad unsettling.

Would you please consider having in this section of the user manual a link
to a page on how to perform this vital step in the process of acquiring
FreeBSD ?  I wonder if there wouldn't be other's that would appreciate that,
and consequently rip into the product with relish.

Thanks for hearing me out, I hope you appreciate what I'm saying

Mark Barrington
Adelaide Australia
mbarring@on.net