Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 03:03:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka <mfrd@attitudex.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache vulnerability for 32 bit *nix and 64 bit *nix (solaris/SPARC)

GOBBLES Security released Remote Apache 1.3.x Exploit, at
http://online.securityfocus.com/attachment/2002-06-20/apache-scalp.c

As it's mentioned in the exploit that:
< * The "experts" have already concurred that this bug...
 *      -       Can not be exploited on 32-bit *nix variants
 *      -       Is only exploitable on win32 platforms
 *      -       Is only exploitable on certain 64-bit systems
 *
 * However, contrary to what ISS would have you believe, we have
 * successfully exploited this hole on the following operating systems:
 *
 *      Sun Solaris 6-8 (sparc/x86)
 *      FreeBSD 4.3-4.5 (x86)
 *      OpenBSD 2.6-3.1 (x86)
 *      Linux (GNU) 2.4 (x86)
 *
 * Don't get discouraged too quickly in your own research. It took us close
 * to two months to be able to exploit each of the above operating systems.
 * There is a peculiarity to be found for each operating system that makes
the
 * exploitation possible.

So i think x86 apache admins shouldn't be like "[ aah its only for win32
and 64 bit *nixes, ]"

and I again repeat that even 64 bit *nixes include SPARCH Solaris which
is found in abundance.

I think its about time Sun people should also take notice
of it.

Sites like sunfreeware.com and alike should put updated apache packages.

Else bad time for solaris sparc/ apache admins.

Regards,
---------
Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka

Chief Technology Officer
Gem Internet Services (Pvt) Ltd.
web: www.gem.net.pk

Vice President
Pakistan Computer Emergency Responce Team (PakCERT)
web: www.pakcert.org

Chief Security Analyst
Applied Technology Research Center (ATRC)
web: www.atrc.net.pk