Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 15:50:02 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   keyboard freezes 3.0-RELEASE (softupdates related?)

G'day.

Installed 3.0-RELEASE from the CDs onto an HP Kayak XA.  (400Mhz P-II, BX
mboard, ATA HDD & CD, Matrox G200 AGP, PS/2 mouse and PS2-like connector on the
keyboard).  Built a new kernel with softupdates & proper network cards etc etc.
It worked fine for a couple hours with this kernel.

Booted the CD#2 to turn softupdates on for all FS, then rebooted with the
softupdates kernel.  Since that time, the keyboard freezes.  Alt-Fn works to
change VTs, PrntScrn also changes VTs, but none of the "real" keys work.

Sometimes, it is dead from boot time, sometimes it works long enough to log in
and run a couple of commands before it breaks.  This is NOT using X; I haven't
got XF86 3.3.3 set up yet and 3.3.2 doesn't support the G200 accelleration.

Boot back with kernel.GENERIC and keyboard is fine.  Turn off softupdates via
tunefs but using the new kernel seems to work OK.

Any clues how I can help track this down?