Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 16:45:17 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange entries in /usr/src/Makefile

It was pointed out to me that there are some strange-looking lines in
/usr/src/Makefile:

=====
# These are last, since it is nice to at least get the base system
# rebuilt before you do them.
.if defined(MAKE_LOCAL) & exists(local) & exists(local/Makefile)
SUBDIR+= local
.endif
.if defined(MAKE_PORTS) & exists(ports) & exists(ports/Makefile)
SUBDIR+= ports
.endif
=====

What are these?  I am not aware of /usr/src/local or /usr/src/ports
ever existing on our system.  The ports stuff should be in /usr/ports,
and has never been intended to be built as part of "make world".  The
"local" stuff are, well, up to the site administrator, but /usr/local
is typically populated by third-party software (including many from
the ports tree), so I don't know why it's here either.

Will the world be obliterated in a violent volcanic eruption if I
delete these lines?

Satoshi