Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 07:57:07 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Fosburgh" <fosburgh@flash.net>
To:        "Jeff Wyman" <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>, "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "Vivek Khera" <khera@kciLink.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: why new buildkernel (was HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel'..."

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Wyman" <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>
To: "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc: "Vivek Khera" <khera@kciLink.com>; <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>; "Kris Kennaway"
<kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 3:36 AM
Subject: Re: why new buildkernel (was HEADS UP! Always use the 'make
buildkernel'..."

> > Why is this new procedure necessary.
> > I recall reading is because of some new additions, but what were
> > these additions (I have seen the name, but have no clue what
> > they are.. binutils?) and why the new, more cumbersome,
> > procedure?
> > francisco
> > Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
> > http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate
>
> If you missed one of Kris Kennaway's previous messages about this, this is
> how he described it:
>
> --SNIP--
> Buildkernel internally handles tool dependency problems, where the kernel
> build depends on tools which were built by make installworld, but not yet
> installed on the system. The alternative is to post a detailed list of
> which bits must be installed before you can build your new kernel, each
> time it happens, which is error-prone and subject to people not reading
> their mail (oops, which is exactly what happened this time around).
> --SNIP--

Can someone (who is knowledgable enough to explain it properly, otherwise I
would make a go at it) put this in handbook/makeworld.html? I just read it
and it still says to do your kernel upgrade after doing make world (or make
installworld). There is a -CURRENT section in there detailing -j4, so why
not a 4.0-STABLE (and higher) section detailing this change to the kernel
building procedure and why it is now preferred over make world/installworld
and then kernel config/make depend/make/make install kernel building
procedure?