Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 17:06:27 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Alexey Pialkin  <root@VexedVox.stud.pu.ru>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

>> >Sounds fine to me, but I think we should make an effort to be absolutely
>> >fair and to show some integrity. All numbers should be verified with
>> >2 or more people, and pointers to the results should be maintained. If we
>> >get a rep for playing fast and loose with the facts then we have a
>> >problem. If we get a rep for being honest and being willing to give linux
>> >its due (and it does have its good points) then we get to be an honest
>> >broker.
>>
>> Its very difficult to be objective with benchmarks because they are so
>> highly dependent on a particular piece of hardware or driver. For example
>> whenever someone mentions FreeBSD vs BSDI some banana pulls
>> out a benchmark with dual buslogic EISA adapters where BSDI may
>> be superior, when the same test with an Adaptec PCI controller
>> might be completely the opposite. Its almost impossible to have a
>> single benchmark comparison for unix systems. You need to chose
>> several "reasonable" systems with different hardware and show several
>> benchmarks with each.....
>
>Why ? Are you sure ?
>Let's take some system(some P5/16mb/1Gb ... and so on :) and make some
>tests on it.. For example - compiling,news processing,ftp,www....
>We'll install Linux & FreeBS on the same system, so i think compasion will
>be rather objective.
>Any problem ?

then things that you selected aren't the issue. But if you do network
testing with a card that has a particularly bad LINUX driver and a
very good FreeBSD driver, then the test is only valid for that one
particular card. The Linux people could do the same test with a
very good Linux driver and a buggy FreeBSD driver and get
opposite results. So what have you shown?

For example BSDI with an Adaptec SCSI and an NE2000 card is not
a very good system, but with a buslogic VLB or EISA card (they've done
a lot of work with these cards) and an SMC ethernet they're very good.

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX