Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 17:27:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha Install - oops!

Matthew Jacob, On 31-Aug-98 you wrote:

>  Not always true.
>

>  This works on my AlphaPC164 (compressed lines):
>
>  console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure
>
>  but failed, I believe, on an alphastation 600, which has:
>
>  ttyC0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   xterm on secure
>
>  enabled instead.

If (and I do not really doubt you) this is true, this is most bizzare.
I'll try that.  I did.  Same thing.

>  I don't know why - haven't dug into the details, but there's
>  a bit of console FM in here somewhere, so you might want
>  to check it out.

I would love to, but that exceeds my time available :-(
I do not mind running options, but I will not do justice to this project if
I tried to make myself DEC Alpha expert overnight.  Since DU ran fine, and
NetBSD runs fine, I tend to leave it in the ``FreeBSD has a problem''
category.  Still needs solving, of course, but me thinks not a
configuration problem on this side of the universe.

Willing to be proven wrong :-)

Simon