Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:45:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
Cc:        ISP@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: UPS Recomendations

> Just get a good UPS system, that covers you for 20 minutes or so.
> Do a system shutdown if power is not restored in 10 minutes.
> ( Statistics are with you on this. )

Or get a smarter UPS that will cover you for the other 2% of the cases
for very little money.  The APC Smart UPS has a battery-low signal that
tells the monitoring software when it has 2/5/15 minutes of battery left
with the given load, so the system can shut down.  Then, it turns power
off to the system *after* your shutdown script tells it to shut the
power off.  Once power is restored and you wait a specific period of
time and/or the battery to be charged up to a certain value, it turns
the power back on again to your unit and it comes up cleanly.

With the above scenario there are no chances for FS corruption or
hardware problems (assuming the UPS does it's job).  With the 'guess'
solution you might have problems if you get into a situation where they
are lots of up/down events (this occurs quite frequently), so your
computer keeps booting/crashing, causing all sorts of problems.

For the extra couple-hundred bucks for a smarter UPS I'm *much* more
likely to go with the 'smarter' UPS.  The time it saves in both hardware
problems and the more important *time* to fix broken things is well
worth it.

> 4: Remaining outages are usually several hours, and affect much wider
> areas. UPS does system shutdown.

Assuming that the battery is fully charged yes, and that you don't have
lots of outages.

> 5: In case of extended blackout, put phone on voice message if phone is
> working. " There is a power outage affecting a large number
> of businesses in the metro area. Public service is working on it. We
> apologize for the inconvienance, we expect to be operational as soon as
> Pubic Service has restored power. Thank you."

That doesn't protect your equipment as it goes up/down and you're off
fishing somewhere in Canada.  (Yeah, your backup should get it but he
got called off on an emergency at another site. :()

The difference between an 'adequate' UPS and a 'good' UPS is a couple of
bucks, don't scrimp on it.

Nate