Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 21:37:37 -0400
From:      "Mark Radabaugh" <mark@amplex.net>
To:        "Tom Wiebe" <twiebe@mac.com>, <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IP aliasing...

> I was thinking that it might be easier in the future if I ran these
> services on separate IP's, so that I can easily move them to
> dedicated
> boxes when required.
>
> My question is, is there any performance hit for IP aliasing
> as opposed to
> just running both services off of the same IP.

That's what DNS is for - so you can change IP addresses while using the
same name.  CNAME's are useful for that function as well.

>I don't imagine that I'd
> see any performance improvement with this, but will I lose out.

No performance problem (at least nothing significant) if you want to do
it this way.  It won't hurt anything.

> Is there strength to my logic, or am I being silly here?

It's a good idea to keep things seperate at least by DNS name (even if
they point to the same IP).  It makes it much easier to move things
around as needed.

Your doing pretty much what we did when we started.  The biggest
mistakes we made were hardcoding DNS for some customers and using
machine names (rack0.amplex.net) instead of role names (pop3.amplex.net)
for some things.

> TIA
>
> Tom Wiebe

Mark Radabaugh