Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:41:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reference: Unix in 20-30 years

On 26-Jun-98 David Wolfskill wrote:

> OK... I'll grant that this is -newbies -- but sometimes I think a bit of
> a reality check is in order.
>
> About the only way for the CPU to be idle is to ensure that it doesn't
> have enough work to do.

OK, so how does one keep a P200MMX constantly busy under FreeBSD?  Maybe write a
script with an endless loop in it and just the statement "fsck -y?"

> Or, if you just want to burn CPU cycles, there's an algorithm for
> summing the reciprocals of the factorials -- works out to be "e" (the
> base of natural logarithms, a transcendental irrational number, the
> value of which (in decimal) is approximately 2.718281828459045...).  I've
> calculated it to several thousand decimal places....  :-)

Doesn't the BSD kernel halt the CPU when it isn't busy (most modern OS's (aside
from Win95)) do.  Why not just save the power and let your CPU go into standby
mode?

E-Mail: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>