Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2016 22:19:31 -0700
From:      Samuel Cassiba <s@cassiba.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenStack on FreeBSD

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 8/23/16 4:38 AM, CeDeROM wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Are there any plans to make stable port/package of OpenStack on FreeBSD?
>> :-)
>>
>> I have seen this nice article that first steps are already made:
>> http://empt1e.blogspot.com/2015/06/openstack-on-freebsdxen-
>> proof-of-concept.html
>>
>> It would be really nice to build this kind of cloud infrastructure on
>> top of FreeBSD :-)
>>

> I have not seen any traction on getting FreeBSD support working on
> OpenStack even when talking/working with several OpenStack commercial
> vendors.  IMHO - if this is something that people see a need for I would
> start by focusing on seeing what the state of libvirt is on FreeBSD and
> bhyve.  I have lost track of where the libvirt code base is in terms of
> bhyve support.
>
> Another two bits...I've worked on OpenStack for several years now and the
> only opinion I have of it at this point is that we are probably lucky to
> not support it.  The code base is a horrible mess, with lots of Linux'isms
> baked into it.  Yet even if you are running OpenStack on a fully supported
> platform like RHEL you will still need to do quite a bit of hacking to make
> it work in your environment.  I've even seen vendors check in untested code
> in the primary github repositories causing a fair amount of headaches.
>
> In light of this I reckon there is room for an alternative to OpenStack in
> the market...hopefully one based on a cleaner implementation :)
>
> Cheers,
> -pete
>

> --
> Pete Wright
> pete@nomadlogic.org
> nomadlogicLA

There was an effort some time ago to get the Compute service working with
FreeBSD: https://github.com/Semihalf/openstack-nova

This spawned a blueprint in Nova (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/freebsd-compute-node) which
gained no traction during the Icehouse cycle, and was never implemented.
The Nova code needs rework, and people, to be accepted, and probably
wouldn't be until at least Ocata.