Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:09:02 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        abi <abi@abinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of synth following expulsion of John Marino?

> On 15 Feb, 2017, at 12:17, abi <abi@abinet.ru> wrote:
>=20
> On 15.02.2017 21:58, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>>> On 15 Feb, 2017, at 11:47, abi <abi@abinet.ru> wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
to synth, then I have to switch back, and this would be a monster mess =
of extra work.
and don't want to go too far off course updating my ports.
already causes headaches on upgrades, and even though it works now, it =
is unlikely to keep working as the ports tree evolves.
>>>=20
>>> This is FUD. Yes, portmaster can be less maintained, but it works =
without observable issues, at least I don't see any problems with it on =
my systems. synth and poudriere lacks the ability to set and maintain =
port options recursively, eliminating any practical (from user =
perspective, not developer) use of such software stand alone.
>>=20
>> Sure it does.
>>=20
>> poudriere options -j jailname editors/vim
>>=20
>> Sets options recursively.
>>=20
>> Not seeing any problems with it right now isn't the point of my =
message. The point is that portmaster WILL break when new features =
(currently in progress) are added to the ports build system, and being =
unmaintained, there's no guarantees that it will ever unbreak.
>>=20
>=20
> Poudriere can't be considered as an option for everyone due to it's =
connection to jails, synth can't set options recursively, however it's =
extremely simple to use.
>=20
> According to current port tree, portmaster has maintainer and it's =
simple enough to be fixed by virtually everyone.
>=20
> Can you provide link to new features? Never saw that port tree has =
some drastically changes.

You're right, jails do require more setup, drive space, and complexity =
(not to mention being quite slow on UFS). But at the end of the day, =
jails are a better paradigm for building ports. Most failures these days =
come from the environment influencing the build, or upgrade problems =
rebuilding ports when old ports stop working haphazardly. Best effort is =
taken to fix these problems, but maintainers and committers can't =
predict every setup possibility; the general target is making sure that =
they build in a pristine environment, meaning poudriere.

=
https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D134825+0+archive/2016/free=
bsd-ports/20161225.freebsd-ports for the new features I was referring =
to.

# Adam

--=20
Adam Weinberger