Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:09:45 -0800
From:      Rob Lytle <europa100@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP zd8000 reboots on its own

I wonder if anyone else is using FreeBSD on the HP zd8000 laptop?  I am
having the occasional spontaneous reboot.  FreeBSD 6.0-release was
installed from CD.   I have done some long compiles like Mozilla with no
errors, so I am thinking that memory is probably OK.   I should
probably run memtest86 on it anyway.

I tried turning off ACPI, but then I get an error message about the NIC
saying something like "rl0: watchdog timer reset"  (This laptop has
had problems on Linux where it reboots upon hitting the ACPI part of the
boot process. Sometimes it takes several reboots for it to complete the
whole process in Linux.)

 I am wondering if
hyperthreading has anything to do with it.  That can be turned off in my
bios.  But looking at my kernel config file, I don't see any entries
related to hyperthreading or MP support.  This is the first laptop that
I have had with a P4 with hyperthreading, so I am not very familiar
with it in relation to FreeBSD.  I basically took the GENERIC kernel
config file, added audio and ipfilter support, then commented out most
of the scsi, raid, and unused NIC entries.

If it is just lousy HP bios, maybe I need to just say a prayer each
time I boot it up, lol.

Rob.

--
http://home.comcast.net/~europa100