Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:49:41 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NCR 810 fatal errors during install. (desperate plea)

On Aug 12, Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il> wrote:
> I've already tried the following on questions and scsi to no avail. Since

Hmmm, had not seen it before ...

> We have here a DECpc XL 590 (it used to be a 466, but got upgraded
> recently). This machine has a Nepture chipset, built-in NCR 53C810, 32MB RAM
> and a DE435 ethernet card.

Wasn't the neptun buggy and known to fail if used with
multiple bus-master cards ?
(Please try to boot with both caches disabled and let
me know, whether you see the same problem.)

> On the SCSI bus I have:
> ID 0 - Quantum LPS340S	(340MB disk).
> ID 1 - HP C3323-300 (1GB disk).
> ID 5 - Toshiba XM-4101TA (2x CD).
>
> All are recognized correctly during boot (both disks work at 10MB/sec).
> Both 2.2.2-RELEASE and 2.2-090801-RELENG installs give the following
> shortly after starting writing to the disks (either during newfs-ing them
> or while copying):
>
> ncr0:0: ERROR (20:0) (8-28-0) (8/13) @ (e18:18000140).

The 20 indicates the BF flag (bus fault) is set in the
DSTAT interrupt cause register. This means, that a PCI
bus transaction failed.

> This machine used to work fine (without the HP disk though) when it had a
> 486 CPU under Win95 and NT, BTW.
>
> Can anyone make sense of that?

Well, I guess there are chip-set features enabled, that
do not really work with your revision of that chip set,
and Win-NT may run because it just overrides the BIOS
settings and disables some performance options ...

But this is just a guess ...

Regards, STefan