Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 11:35:54 -0400
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
To:        "'freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fxtv lockup using camera

Hi,

For a few months, I've been using my Hauppague Wincast/TV - fm  Model 401 on
my 2.2.6-Release system to view/capture etc. cable TV.  I use fxtv 0.46 from
ports but had to get the driver from
http://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/22x
<http://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848/22x>;  and patch it as
described there to work with a pre 3.0 system.  TV is great at 800x600 16bpp
(usually) as well as higher resolutions and higher bpp.

I just bought a color camera to play with things like Mbone, NetMeeting etc.
When I use it with fxtv, the system locks up.  At 640x480 8ppp, there is no
lockup, but the picture quality is lacking.  At 16bpp FreeBSD locks.  Under
NT 4.0 SP4, I run 800x600 true color to be sure the hardware works.

Besides moving to a current version of FreeBSD, is there anything I can try
to figure out what is wrong?

System specifics:

My system is 2.2.6 installed from CDROM.  I run XF86 3.3.2 on a Matrox
Millennium II PCI with 8MB WRAM.  My monitor is a Viewsonic 17.  The
XF86Config was created using the entries I found in the "monitors" and
"Devices" files found in X11R6 sub-directories.
Wincast/TV with fm (401)
BT878 decoder
Phillips FM 1236 tuner
Model number is 62471 Rev A

bktr0 <BrookTree 878> rev 2 int a irq 9 on pci0:9:0 Hauppauge WinCast/TV,
Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner, dbx stereo.

pci0:9:1: vendor=0x109e, device=0x0878, class=multimedia (misc) int a irq 9
[no driver assigned] --> this is the audio chip we have no support for (at
least at my FreeBSD version).

Thanks,
MikeC

Michael C. Cambria                        Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                        Bell Labs Innovations
   Voice: (978) 287 - 2807                300 Baker Avenue
     Fax: (978) 287 - 2810                Concord, Massachusetts 01742
Internet:  mcambria@lucent.com <mailto:mcambria@lucent.com>