Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2016 17:52:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "RW" <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

On Wed, September 14, 2016 5:39 pm, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:10:46 -0500 (CDT)
> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>
>> I usually use HGST (formerly Hitachi, before that IBM); - He filled
>> and sealed ones sound really good (we will know statistics on them
>> some 5-7 years down the road, so now we can only guess).
>
> Personally I wouldn't want to risk it until then. These drives rely on
> the helium atmosphere to work correctly, and helium is notoriously
> difficult to contain in the long-term because it's a monatomic gas.

My rusted knowledge of physics suggests me that this is absolutely correct
if you keep helium in container at higher pressure than exterior
environment pressure. If exterior pressure is the same as pressure inside
sealed container, even if the seal is not perfect, sealed gas doesn't leak
away as fast as when there is pressure difference - much slower. Also,
seal made of metal, e.g. Indium, which is monoatomic substance itself
(very soft, BTW, you can press out of syringe indium and make thin wire
this way), may be extremely good to seal monoatomic gas.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago