Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:52:43 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, stable@freebsd.org, "current@freebsd.org Current" <current@freebsd.org>, Christian Brueffer <brueffer@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: deprecation of nve(4) in 10-STABLE and removal from 11-CURRENT

On 6 Feb 2014, at 18:34, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:

> Best avoid the obscure word `Deprecated' in manuals:
>  It's not common/ plain English.  Maybe a geek import, or USA
>  dialect ?  It's not easily internationaly understood English.
>  Best make manuals easier for non native English speakers (& native
>  English too ;-).  I am British born & bred, whether in English
>  speaking circles in UK or Germany I never hear or read 'deprecated'
>  unless its in BSD context.  Few native English speakers I know will =
be
>  immediately sure of the meaning, it's too obscure.

I'd strongly disagree with this.  Deprecated is, perhaps, only in common =
use as jargon, but it's very widespread within the tech field.  I don't =
think I've ever read an API reference that doesn't include the word, for =
example, and it's even a keyword in many code documentation tools.  For =
example, JavaDoc supports @deprecated and gcc / clang include an =
__attribute__((deprecated)) that generates a compile-time warning =
whenever anyone tries to call a deprecated function. =20

I've not come across the word outside of tech uses, but I've also not =
come across the term network interface outside of tech circles.  =
Deprecated, in this use, may be jargon, but it's very widespread jargon, =
and requesting it not be used sounds like asking for words like driver =
or processor also be avoided.

David
(Also a native English speaker, although familiar with the unofficial =
fork from Leftpondia)=