Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:04:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>Well, I didn't see you very active with the 20-odd people who posted the
>same build error this time around. And I think it makes much more sense to
>teach people to use a tool which won't have dependency problems in the
>first place than to catch them all individually once they've tried what
>they knew and failed, and resorted to asking for help. But if you're going
>to make a commitment to answer each and every one of them every time this
>problem recurs, on every support forum, then I suppose it amounts to more
>or less the same thing in the end.

Kris,
You have some very valid concerns from a support perspective, and I
respect that.  What I believe you are failing to take into account is
the fact that the buildkernel target requires a full source repository
and object tree.  It is not that people object to a /usr/src level
target for kernel builds, they object to the idea that The FreeBSD
Project would require all users to have an entire source tree and object
tree for something as common as a kernel build.  Often users chose to
stay with -RELEASE and those users need to be able to install only
src-sys from their RELEASE CDROMs and build and install custom kernels.
It would be a bit obtuse to do a full buildworld in order to obtain an
object tree if one was planning on staying with -RELEASE code.  The only
way I can see making it feasible to for the buildworld target to be
universally supported is to implement some sort of a check to see
whether or not the version of the kernel code is different from that of
the currently running kernel.  If that is the case, then an object tree
should be required.  Otherwise buildkernel should use the build tools
from the running system.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying