Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 07:54:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@tioga.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftpd?

Strange. I wanted on the fly compression like wcarchive does, so I stuck
compress, tar and gzip in /usr/ftp/usr/bin, then chmod 111 them. I
changed /usr/local/etc/ftpconversions to reflect the chroot() binaries.
It works. Great. But, how? They are supposed to dynamically linked! Do they
inherit ftpd's libc and work that way or is it some sort of kernel thing
that isn't supposed to be that way or am I somewhat dazed and confused?
Now a sleepless night turns into a sleepless day.

Thomas J Balfe                                          tbalfe@tioga.com
President                                          http://www.tioga.com/
Tioga Communications, Inc                                   814-867-4770

   "Humanity has been compared...to a sleeper who handles matches
        in his sleep and wakes to find himself in flames."
             - H.G. Wells The World Set Free 1914