Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2013 08:09:07 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Automated submission of kernel panic reports: sysutils/panicmail

from Mark Felder:

> > Question that arises is how does the system know where to send the email,
> > and through what SMTP server, especially if panicmail_autosubmit="YES".

> Every computer on the planet has the capability of being able to send
> email directly without an SMTP server. The only question is if the
> receiving end is willing to accept it, or discard it as spam.

Mail server at the receiving end might reject the message, or one's ISP might block it.

> > I use mail/mpop and mail/msmtp rather than messing with sendmail or
> > postfix; have multiple email accounts and inboxes.

> Does it provide a compatible /usr/sbin/sendmail binary? If so, it will
> just work^TM.

msmtp -a <account-name> -t < message-with-headers

from Colin Percival:

> Don't you get "daily run output" and "security run output" emails?

I didn't think of these messages, all contained within the same computer.

These messages are constructed like email, but don't go through mail servers.

Tom