Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:05:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        John Andersen <jsa@pen.homeip.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious sshd "starting itself" at bootup

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, John Andersen wrote:
> On Sunday 21 April 2002 09:35 pm, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > Hello all, I just ran `last -10 -s` then `ps -auxww | grep -i ssh` and noticed that an sshd process was begun at the time of "reboot" (why does syslogd not call it a "bootup" event?!)  I perused and grepped my /etc/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /boot/loader* files but none of these enable sshd.  Can someone tell me any other places to check?
> > I would rather not have sshd running until I know more about controlling it!
> Man page says its started from  /etc/rc.network

It was my understanding that the stuff in /etc/rc.network have some
dependencies on what the sysadmin has configured IN /etc/rc.conf as there
are some lines in my /etc/rc.network that say:

        case ${sshd_enable} in
        [Yy][Ee][Ss])

And some lines in my /etc/rc.conf that say:

sshd_enable="NO"                # Enable sshd

...which in other words would match the /etc/rc.network stuff above were it:

        case ${sshd_enable} in
        [Nn][Oo])

> It would seem to me it would be the last thing to worry about.

Thanks for playing. :)

> No I Don't Yahoo!
> And I'm getting pretty sick of being asked if I do.
> John Andersen / Juneau Alaska

Hehe, that's pretty innocuously catchy :)  I like the quotation, but Yahoo
rules supreme.on.earth.yahoo.com (extra gwockk please),  :)   (-;

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder